Monday, April 03, 2006

Signs, Mileposts, Arroyos

Just back from a road trip that took us across a swath of the vast uniterrupted Painted Desert. First, the excitement is the next snack stop--my crew are hard core Snack-A-Holics who believe every town is an opportunity for a new junk food discovery. They eat like Amazons and remain pencil thin. I eyed the Onion Rings but contented myself with a latte with skim milk and no-fat whipped cream.

East of Flagstaff, the towns become sparse until finally, the excitement is seeing a sign announcing a town. Then, seeing a sign announcing a wash like "San Diablo Arroyo." More time passes and the signs dispense with names and say things like, "Exit 108-3 Miles." Exit 108 comes into view and appears to lead nowhere. It's like being in the geographical center of nowhere. Except it is wide open and beautiful if you like the desert--and I do.

Back in the high desert. Spring Break over, tax deadline 12 days away, and 5000 words to write this week.

6 Comments:

Blogger M. G. Tarquini said...

I miss making that drive. I'm gonna try and talk the husband into it some weekend. Just to go out there and see what there is to see...which is mostly a lot of nothing, unless you know where to look.

My kids eat like Gladiators and get thinner. No way they got my genes.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Sandra Ruttan said...

Hey, when you're on the road, you have to stop in every town because you just never know how long it'll be until the next town.

And then you might have a sugar drop and crash and be twitching for a twinkie and that would never do.

3:04 PM  
Blogger S. R. Hatcher said...

Sandra--have you been talking to my kids? I think this is part of their Theory of Road Junk.

MG--did you take them to Petrified Forest. I can already see them there--I think they would like--they are so curious. Of course, that's where I plunged down a hillside and cut up my leg--trying to save Steve's camera. Still, it's a great place for kids.

10:02 PM  
Blogger E. Ann Bardawill said...

Do the taxes first, then you will be able to write with less stress.

Don't forget to hire a pro.
;-)

9:08 AM  
Blogger Sandra Ruttan said...

s.r. - it's just ingrained in us road-trip junkies. They were born trippers. And born junk-food-aholics. Words to warm a mother's heart, I'm sure

10:28 AM  
Blogger Dana Y. T. Lin said...

I gain 10 pounds on every Road Trip. I need new genes.

11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home