Friday, February 03, 2006

New Words, Open Eyes

Discovered a new word last night: japanned - a noun - articles made in a Japanese style, esp. when decorated with lacquer or enamellike varnish. Used in a novel I'm reading an piqued my interest.

Guess that's what it's all about with writers...keeping an eye for the strangeness of ordinary life, the odd expression. Ordinary words gaining momentum as the writer puts them in motion. Strange new words dropping in. Well used words. Words you have to stop and look up. In the end a story.

5 Comments:

Blogger Erik Ivan James said...

Well said Sharon. My problem, though, is I spend time reading Bunion posts then spend the rest of the day in the dictionary. At the end of the day, I'm really confused. I haven't found a place to buy a "brain-stretcher" yet to expand my little brain enough to keep up with you ladies.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Dana Y. T. Lin said...

Sharon, you posted again!

6:42 PM  
Blogger M. G. Tarquini said...

I ran into the expression 'charcoal voice' last night. It fit so well with what I was reading.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Lisa S. said...

Finding a new word is like finding gold.

And if your japanned cabinet is polished?

4:38 PM  
Blogger Bonnie Calhoun said...

I felt tha same way when I first saw japanamai...I think I spelled it right...Dana, are you out there...did I spell it right?

I love new words. you can go here and sign up for A Word A Day...they send you a new word and it's meaning everyday.

http://wordsmith.org/words/repartee.html

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home