Thursday, February 16, 2006

First Novels

Reading Ross King's novel, Domino because I enjoyed his historical suspense novel, Ex Libris. The language in Ex-Libris was flowery but interesting. The language in Domino (takes place in 1770's) is downright weighty. Although I'm enjoying the story, the language can be a slog at times. I noticed last night this was his first novel and it sent me off on a mental tangent, thinking about first novels.

Today I'm wondering if I will look back at Dear Dr. Shamroy one day and absolutely cringe. Perhaps. At this point I still like the humor and Shamroy's ridiculous platitudes and quotes. Still, five years from now.........

I'm totally avoiding writing AND the enormous pile of critique that is due online with my writer's group today. I just want to write about those shape shifting cockroaches that grow in cocoons on the Isle of Daki and then migrate to the U.S. to carry out their nefarious plots. This sounds like so much more fun than researching diamond smuggling for Ch. 4 of A Prolonged Coincidence. In fact the shape shifters idea might go Hollywood in a hooker's minute.

The critiques can no longer be avoided. Have a good day to all who stop by.

9 Comments:

Blogger Dana Y. T. Lin said...

Procrastination. It gets the best of us.

Trudge on.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Sandra Ruttan said...

Yep, why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? You might die before then and never have to do it, but your time won't have been invested for nothing!

11:33 AM  
Blogger S. R. Hatcher said...

Hey! I like your thinking.

12:17 PM  
Blogger M. G. Tarquini said...

You know, Sharon, I was in just such a mood when HINDSIGHT was born...

Maybe you should give go ahead and write those shapeshifting cockroaches from the Isle of Daki.

Isabella will be waiting when you get done.

5:05 PM  
Blogger E. Ann Bardawill said...

No rush ofr anything of mine either.

I'm doing the script for VG.

It's WAAAAAY overdue.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Erik Ivan James said...

Just stopped by to say hello. Hello.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Bonnie Calhoun said...

I would procrastinate...but I'll wait till tomorrow to do it!

The cockroaches sound like fun!

1:17 AM  
Blogger Brett Battles said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Brett Battles said...

First novels and shape shifting...oddly, my first novel was about shape shifting. (No cochroaches though.)

Thankfully, that novel will never see the light of day again. But it still brings a smile when I remember it.

Good luck with the procrastination...I'm actually practicing it right now.

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home